🎆 Need inspiration for a New Year’s resolution?
✋ Please stop #RTFM-ing !
Here is how and why:
What is RTFM-ing?
RTFM-ing is answering the questions in a way that humiliates the poster.
RTFM-ing comes in many forms:
- “Read the Frickn’ Manual”
- “Let me Google that for you”
Why do people RTFM?
- because they forgot to put their oxygen mask before helping others;
- to express frustration that the poster hasn’t done enough research;
- to boost their ego.
Why is RTFM bad?
RTFM-ing misses the whole point of today’s information age.
All information is out there, but finding it is challenging.
My employer, Elastisys, embraces a knowledge-sharing culture and RTFM has no place here.
What to do instead of RTFM-ing?
- Good: Do not answer.
- Better: “Is this [INSERT SPECIFIC URL] pointing in the right direction?”
- Best: “Is this [INSERT SPECIFIC URL] pointing in the right direction? Here is the snippet that might answer your question: [INSERT SPECIFIC SNIPPET].”
Don’t forgot to take care of yourself. I often get irritated with people. Then I realize that I was simply hungry, or forgot to prioritize my wants.
Put your oxygen mask first, before helping others.